Buckle up people, it’s fair season. Imagine having all of the fair yummy goodness without having to leave the comfort of your air condition home. I know, it sounds too good to be true, but stick with me this month and all of your fair dreams will come true. First up, funnel cake. Fluffy, golden, delicious funnel cake. Perfect, slightly sweetened, fluffy batter gets fried to perfection and then topped with an illegal amount of powdered sugar. Consume while still warm for maximum pleasure.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- Ungodly amount of powdered sugar
- Oil for frying (I used canola oil)
- Add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk well until the eggs are fully incorporated then add in the baking powder, flour, and salt and mix until just combined. Next you need to transport the batter into some sort of pouring vessel. I used a squeeze bottle that I cut the tip off so it would be large enough. You could use a funnel or even a bag with the corner cut off.
- Add oil to a large wide pot about halfway up and heat to 350 degrees. Once the oil has heated, pour the batter into the hot oil into a circle and then fill it in with zig-zag motions to create the classic funnel cake look. Allow the batter to fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until perfectly golden brown. Remove onto a cooling rack or paper towel to drain the excess oil, then drown with powdered sugar and enjoy immediately.