Nas said it best, “Mmm, Fried chicken, fly vixen, give me heart disease but need you in my kitchen”. Piping hot fried chicken takes a swim in sweet and spicy buttery goodness then gets placed in between a flaky biscuit and topped with bread and butter pickles, can you taste it? This is the bomb diggity, you cannot just eat one but they are little so it’s okay, right? Get in my belly.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
- Frying oil
- Bread and butter pickles
Biscuits (or use store-bought; I’m not judging)
- 1 cup buttermilk; full fat
- 1 1/2 sticks butter; salted and cubed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 quart buttermilk; full fat
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- Hot sauce; as much or as little as you like
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 stick butter; salted and melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- Hot sauce; I used about 2 tablespoons of Louisiana hot sauce
- The night before making this recipe, thinly slice the chicken then place it in a large bowl with the brine ingredients. Mix well then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine all of the biscuit ingredients except for the buttermilk. With a pastry cutter or knife cut the butter into the flour until they are pea sized. Add in the buttermilk until just combined, careful to not over-mix. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough then fold it over itself and roll it out again. Repeat this 6-8 times then refrigerate for another 10 minutes. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits, put the cutter straight in the dough and straight out DO NOT TWIST THE CUTTER. Repeat with all of the dough. Put the biscuits on a baking sheet so they are touching each other and bake for about 12 minutes or until risen and browned on the bottom and top.
- Fill a large pot about half way up with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the brine off of the chicken.
- Mix together all of the dredge ingredients except for the buttermilk
- Put the chicken into the fresh buttermilk, shake off the excess then dredge it in the flour and spices mixture. Coat it well in the dredge, shake off excess, then fry for about 5-10 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and lightly sprinkle with salt. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
- Whisk together the melted butter, honey, and hot sauce. Dunk the cooked chicken in the butter then top with pickles and serve in between a sliced biscuit.