Let’s talk about deep fried wieners. They are my favorite wieners. Corn dogs are like the LeBrons of fried things. These seem intimidating but they are super dumb easy to make. Not to mention from start to finish these literally take about 15 minutes to make. The only thing that could have made these corn dogs better would maybe be some spice, perhaps a diced jalapeño in the batter? Stay tuned, I am definitely going to get freaky with these and make different versions.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
- 8 hot dogs (I used beef franks)
- 3/4 cup flour; plus a little extra for coating
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for frying
- 8 sticks (I used cake-pop/lollipop sticks)
- Fill a medium sized pot up halfway with oil. Bring it to about 325 degrees (do not let it get below 300 or above 350).
- Mix together the dry ingredients then whisk in the egg, maple syrup, and buttermilk. Transfer the batter into a tall glass.
- Dry off the hot dogs with a paper towel then roll them in some flour to coat. Shake off any excess flour. Skewer each hot dog with the sticks so there are about 3 inches of stick left to hold onto. Dip the hot dogs into the glass with the batter, ensure every bit is coated. Let any excess batter drip off then put it into to the hot oil, holding it in about halfway for a couple of seconds before dropping it in. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes or until the batter is cooked and golden brown. Remove and drain on a paper towel then repeat until all of the corn dogs have been cooked. Serve immediately.