WOW. Wooooooooooow. This is so damn good. The custard is nice and sweet and super lime-y. Forget everything you’ve ever known about graham cracker crust, vanilla wafers are the future. As if a vanilla wafer crust filled with key lime yummy goodness wasn’t amazing enough, it’s topped with a sweet creamy meringue that I brûléed with a torch and topped of with some sugary lime zest. Ughhhh. This should be illegal. And I know what you’re thinking, “Maya, I’m not a master chef like you, however will I make this!?”. Have no fear, it is stupid easy to make, nearly idiot proof.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 lime; zested
- 3 cups vanilla wafers
- 1 stick salted butter; melted
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 lime; zested
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust, put the vanilla wafers butter into a food processor and pulse until they wafers are small crumbs. Press the wafers into a tart pan then bake for about 10 minutes or until browned and set.
- With a hand mixer, whisk the egg yolks until they begin to turn a pale yellow. Next whisk in the sour cream, then the lime juice. Slowly pour in the sweetened condensed milk and whisk until combined. Stir in the lime zest. Pour the custard into the pie crust and bake for 10 minutes or until set. Remove and allow it to slightly cool then refrigerate it until completely chilled.
- For the meringue, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat them until they begin to foam, then add in the cream of tartar. Once the eggs whites begin to thicken and turn white, add in the sugar one tablespoon at a time, continue to whisk until the egg whites are white and shiny and form a “stiff peak” when you turn off the mixer and lift the whisk. Pipe the meringue onto the pie. With a kitchen torch, caramelize the meringue. Mix the lime zest with the teaspoon of sugar then sprinkle over the meringue. Serve chilled.