Ugh. Yes. I freaking love cornbread. This is sooo good. It is moist and flavorful and that honey butter?? Honey, that honey butter is ridonkulous. The subtle flavor from the bacon fat makes me happy. Everything about this is just yes.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
- 2 poblano peppers; roasted and diced
- 1 stick salted butter; melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs; beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat (can substitute with butter or vegetable/canola oil)
- 1 stick salted butter; softened
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Put a cast iron skillet greased with the bacon fat, on the bottom and sides of the skillet, into the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, buttermilk, and eggs. Once combined, fold in the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, poblanos, and a pinch of salt. Mix until it just comes together. Take out he hot skillet from the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the butter and honey together and beat with a hand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Serve room temperature.