This mac and cheese tastes like classic mac and cheese and alfredo met at a mutual friend’s party. They instantly hit is off and begin dating. One year and a trip to Mexico later, Alfredo pops the question to classic mac and cheese and the next thing you know they are married and settled in a nice house in the suburbs. Nine months later, they are on their way home from the hospital with their new baby, creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese with garlic and herb potato chip topping, get the picture? This is the textbook definition of creamy dreamy. It is also calorie and fat free, amazing.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound macaroni noodles (or whatever noodles you like); cooked according to package instructions
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 pints heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 12 ounces gruyere cheese
- 12 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces white american cheese
- About 4 dashes hot sauce
Potato Chip Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic; finely minced
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup potato chips (I used truffle potato chips from Trader Joes–picture above); crushed
- 2 heaping tablespoons flat leaf Italian parsley; roughly chopped
- In skillet over medium heat, melt the butter for the topping. Add in the garlic and cook for minute or two. Then add in the remaining ingredients and cook until lightly browned.
- For the cheese sauce, melt the butter over medium heat then add in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Next add in the heavy cream half and half. Heat until bubbling and thick. Reduce the heat to low and add in all of the cheeses, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Whisk until completely melted then add in the noodles straight into the sauce. Serve immediately.