This tart combines two of my favorite things: chocolate and butter. The crust is a spin on my grandmothers Dutch apple pie crust, it is thick and buttery and beyond delicious. The mousse is rich and creamy and the caramel is sweet and nutty. I promise this pan of yummy goodness will not disappoint.
Photography by Sophie Marie Creative
- 3 pints raspberries, rinsed and dried
- Caramel, either store-bought or make your own
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) dark chocolate chips
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Optional: 1 orange, zest and juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- With a mixer or your hands, cream together the butter and sugar for the crust. Slowly add in the four until incorporated. Finally, fold in the almonds until just combined.
- Evenly press the dough into a large tart pan (I used a 9 1/2 inch deep tart pan). With a fork, prick holes in the bottom of the crust to prevent it from puffing up (once done, if the crust did puff up, just slightly press down with the backside of a spoon).
- Bake the crust for 30-40 minutes covered with tinfoil until cooked through and golden brown.
- For the mousse, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until fully melted).
- Allow the chocolate to slightly cool and add in the orange zest if using.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, and orange juice if using. Beat the cream with a whisk attachment until it just becomes thick, then add in the melted chocolate and continue to beat until combined.
- Once the crust has completely cooled, pour in as much caramel as your heart desires (I used about a half cup and saved the rest to drizzle over each slice). Then add in the mousse and smooth the top. Finish with the raspberries and a little powdered sugar to ensure you wow all of your eager eaters.
Makes 8 slices