Makes 10 bagels
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the water and yeast and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the sugars and salt and mix it all together.
- Slowly add in the flour while the mixer is on and mix until it is all combined. Mix on medium-low speed for 5-10 minutes until it is smooth.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and place in a warm place for 1 hour to allow it to rise.
- In the meantime, mix together the everything seasoning and set aside.
- Lightly flour a surface and turn out the dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal size pieces.
- Take a piece and flatten in out to remove the air bubbles then role into a ball and make a whole in the center to form a ring. Stretch out the dough a little to make a bigger hole/circle then place on parchment paper. Repeat with all of the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Place two pieces of dough in the water and boil for a minute then flip and boil for an additional minute. Remove onto a sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Immediately sprinkle with everything seasoning (or any other seasoning you desire)
- Repeat until all of the bagels have been boiled then bake for 10 minutes, turn the pan, then bake for another 10 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve with smoked salmon cream cheese.
Approximately 278 calories for one bagel
Approximately 374 calories for one bagel with two tablespoons of smoked salmon cream cheese